According to the World Food Programme
· Poor nutrition causes nearly half (45%) of deaths in children under five – 3.1 million children each year.
· 66 million primary school-age children attend classes hungry, with 23 million in Africa alone.
With millions of children dying each year from causes related to malnutrition, it is apparent that existing humanitarian efforts are not adequate to address this pressing global problem.
The Nourish the Children initiative provides a consistent supply of nourishing food to the world’s most needy children. It enables our sales leaders and customers to contribute to a critical humanitarian need on an ongoing basis. By applying business principles and making the purchase of VitaMeal commissionable, it yields a program that is more likely to be sustainable. Many relief efforts are provided on a one-off basis or through limited-time contracts, while the Nourish the Children initiative has provided a framework to maintain a consistent level of food on a sustainable basis since 2002.
VitaMeal: More Than Just a Meal
· A balance of carbohydrates, protein, fat and fibre
· Essential fatty acids required for normal brain development, skin health and immune defence
· Electrolytes necessary for maintaining normal fluid balance and muscle function
· 25 essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A for normal sight and immune functions as
· well as nutrients for normal growth and skeletal development